Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Rant on jeans

First of all, before I update on the last couple of weeks...I need to rant a bit.

Why is it that I am the typically "average" American woman? I'm the average height, average shoe size, I used to be the average weight and dress size (well, I've pretty much stayed the same, I've noticed that the average weight and dress size of the American woman has actually gone UP in the last few years.) So anyways, I make my point, I'm average! Why is it that when I buy pants in a "regular" length, they are inevitably two inches too long, even to wear with heels! So then I have to hem them, and anybody who has ever tried to sew denim on a machine knows how THAT can be...I've broken many a needle. So if I am average, then why is the regular length too long? Just further proof that the designers are designing for Amazon goddesses out there. And just like the Amazon, all the goddesses are in Brazil! :)

Anyhoo!

We've been keeping ourselves occupied here....we just finished painting our Master Bedroom. Have you ever noticed that on all the home shows, everybody has finished decorating the rest of the house, but left the Master Bedroom for last? Leo and I vowed not to do that, so we are going to make sure this room is "complete" first before we work on the rest of the house! I have a hard time focusing and finishing this project. I want to begin on all the other projects in the house...I just popped off the ugly stock mirror in my downstairs bathroom so I can hang my cool Mexican one. Focus Jordy, FOCUS!

So while Leo is in Costa Rica this week, I'm in charge of the paint touch up (don't you hate how paint still leaks under the tape or sometimes peels off?), hanging the curtains and finding some red coral accents for the room. OH! And buying the picture frames and finding and printing ocean and beach theme family pictures. Since the bedroom is supposed to be our retreat and we both love the ocean, we decided to go with an ocean-inspired room. Don't worry, it's not as scary as it sounds. Just a blue accent wall and some red coral-colored accessories, maybe some sea glass...we'll see.

Tiago is about to turn 2 in 16 days! I'm about to turn 28 in 25 days! Leo wants to have a big party for Tiago, but I'm not sold on the idea yet...well, I'd love to, but I'd rather spend the $$ on presents for Tiago! As for my birthday present, it was the cruise that we took a couple of months ago. We agreed to spend a little more on the cruise, and not do birthday presents this year. I know Leo, though...he'll still get me something, which I don't mind. :)

As I said, Leo's in Costa Rica for now for work...(que pena, eh?) He and I turned down the offer from Jafra in Thousand Oaks, CA which would have moved us back closer to my family in a beautiful area, and we turned down a $40,000 salary increase because we felt it wasn't the right thing to do. Keep in mind, though....that the $40,000 increase would just maintain our lifestyle in CA, so it wasn't a truuuue increase. Sometimes, though....I wonder "what if?" I just hope once 4Life finds out, that Leo is so loyal to them, they'll reward him with more $$. I know, it's not about the $$, but it definitely would be nice! We have two cars to pay off, and I would like to pay down the mortgage some, renovate the house some, save for Tiago's college and mission, save for our retirement...have lots of fun.....buy some investment property, lots of stuff!

As for me. I'm getting ready to start giving piano lessons a week from tomorrow. I don't have a piano yet at home, so I am planning on teaching out of the Church until I can bring my piano from CA. I'm nervous, I've been talking about teaching piano for a while, and thinking about it....I just need to make the jump! I guess I figure if I don't attempt to do it, I won't fail. But that's the secret, if I don't attempt, that's a fail in and of itself! I just have to remember that great teachers like the one I had, Mrs. Talevich once were in my position. She was 70-something by the time I took from her, so she'd had over 50 years of experience...of course I'm not going to be as good as her right now! I'll get there, though. :)

Well that's us in a nutshell!

3 comments:

Janelle said...

Mrs. Talevitch had lost her people skills by the time she'd been teaching for 70 years. :)

Oh, and you should buy some denim needles for your sewing machine.

Jordanna said...

Funny, I always got along with her. Maybe I don't have people skills either. :) I loved Jane, too...but I think I would be a waaaay better piano player if I had started with Mrs. Talevich. Oh well, I can't change the past!

I don't have a sewing machine, :( And I don't know why my mom never bought denim needles! Do you think a basic sewing machine would be able to handle denim as long as I had the right needle? I've seen some machines at Target, and since I don't sew much, I don't need anything fancy.....what do you think?

Janelle said...

By the way, congrats, auntie!

Any sewing machine should be able to do denim if you get a proper needle. They're specifically called "denim needles" so they should be easy to find. If you're ever sewing canvas, or equally heavy fabrics, they'll work with those, too. (Not that I've tried, but my mommy said so.)

I was only with Mrs. Talevitch for less than a year (it might have been closer to six months...I'm not sure). I was always being forced into piano lessons, though, and even after six years, it still wasn't my choice. That might have had something to do with it. My mom still gets Christmas cards from Jane, though.